150 Japanese people whose lives were affected by the massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan will start arriving in Canada in October to study English – free of charge. They will be participating in a scholarship program called “Hope for Youth – Study in Canada Project,” a joint effort between the Embassy of Canada, Languages Canada (an accreditation body for Canadian language schools), and fashion company Samantha Thavasa Japan Ltd.
PRESS RELEASE: LANGUAGES CANADA, JULY 21, 2011
Languages Canada Members Grant 150 Scholarships to Japanese Youth Affected by Earthquake
Languages Canada members are awarding over $430,000 in scholarships to support Japanese youth who were affected by the Tohoku earthquake in March, 2011. So far, 32 accredited language schools have offered 150 scholarships to Japanese students over the next year.
The “Hope for Youth – Study in Canada Project” is a joint program between the Embassy of Canada, Languages Canada and Samantha Thavasa Japan Ltd. The scholarships will cover course tuition and, in most cases, accommodations. Insurance for all the participants will be provided free of charge by Guard.me Health Insurance, an associate member of Languages Canada.
“Canada and Japan have a long-standing relationship in education, and our members experience every day through their interaction with Japanese students the friendship that our countries have forged,” explains Gonzalo Peralta, Executive Director at Languages Canada. “This initiative, proposed by our members, is the best way to let Japanese students know we are here for them.”
Round-trip tickets will be offered free of charge by Air Canada and Samantha Thavasa Japan Ltd for departure dates starting October 10, 2011. The list of participating institutions will be posted on the Embassy of Canada website.
Applicants must be Japanese citizens between the ages of 15 and 30 who were affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake. This includes students who lost family, homes and jobs, or were evacuated due to the nuclear accident in Fukushima.
The following Languages Canada Members have graciously offered scholarships for the Hope for Youth – Study in Canada Project:
- Apex Language and Career College
- Canadian College of English Language
- CLLC Canadian Language Learning College
- Columbia College
- East Coast School of Languages
- Eurocentres Canada
- Global Village English Centre – Calgary
- Global Village English Centre – Vancouver
- Global Village English Centre Victoria
- ILAC (International Language Academy of Canada)
- ILSC (International Language Schools of Canada)
- Interlangues Language School
- Lethbridge College
- LSC Language Studies Canada
- Maple Leaf Academy
- North Island College
- Pan Pacific College
- PLI Pacific Language Institute
- Quest Language Studies
- Saint John College, University of New Brunswick, Saint John
- Saint Mary’s University – TESL Centre
- St Giles International
- Stewart College of Languages
- Study Abroad Canada
- Tamwood International College
- University of Alberta English Language Program
- University of Windsor
- Guard.me (Health Insurance for all participants)