In a speech yesterday in Germany, British Prime Minister David Cameron said that multiculturalism had “failed” and it was time to replace Britain’s “passive tolerance” with an “active, muscular liberalism” to send a message that life in Britain revolves around certain key values such as freedom of speech, equal rights and the rule of law. Critics accuse the PM of playing into the hands of right-wing, anti-immigrant (and particularly anti-Islam) extremists.
- Video of parts of the speech: The Telegraph
- Multiculturalism has failed in Britain, PM Cameron says: Globe and Mail
- British PM questions multiculturalism: The Toronto Star
- Cameron Criticizes ‘Multiculturalism’ in Britain: New York Times
- David Cameron sparks fury from critics: The Guardian
- Labour accuses Cameron of lining up with extremists: The Independent
TESL Toronto publishes items of interest to the local TESL community: send links and tips to email@example.com.